Saturday, January 17, 2009

Everyday Spirituality

Life ‘Under the Sun’
Can I really not go through a day without Him? I mean do we really need Him to get us to the lecture hall every morning or while having our meals? Do we really need Him in every exam, quiz or presentation? Or to be honest only for the killer lecturer we pray extra hard for God’s favor? Is God’s presence really so significant day in and day out in my life?

What about your inner life? Do you ever sense the chilly loneliness and the unnamed fears engulfing you on a rainy day, as if the world has deserted and forgotten you? Or the experience of extreme boredom chewing you up on a hot afternoon when no one is around except a fierce swinging fan? This is my experience at times! Sometimes when I open my eyes in the morning, the only desire that I have is the desire not to get out of bed. I will be like a slimy worm wriggling about in bed wondering what this day is for. Facing procrastinated chores or people who I do not feel like facing? What’s so exciting about being alive? Where is the abundant life that Christ promised? Oh my, isn’t the purpose of life the most unique candy promised by the Christian faith? What has gone wrong?

The Life of Faith & Joy
Whenever I come to my senses, I feel it has been weeks of ignoring the goodness and presence of God in my daily living; When I look back at the less than edifying choices that I made or words that I said, I realize my God was pushed aside and I have not consulted Him nor wanted to hear from Him. I did not seek the Holy Spirit and was rewarded with powerlessness in my service unto Him.

Back to inner life. What could turn around the mood of the day for me? Hmmm it can be relatively simple. Sometimes it is the fresh air that I breathe early morning or a peep at a cute animal. It could be a song or rainbow. It could be the liveliness at the playground or a chat with friend. Oh there are many. When I stumble on to these things in consciousness, I thank God for life, for His glorious wisdom in His creation. He has bestowed so many resources for us to tap into, to feast on and to celebrate.

Ever read Ecclesiastes? What’s your first impression? Meaningless, meaningless, everything is meaningless… so blue! Exactly! Have you felt that this book is at odds with the teaching of the bible? I felt that way until I came across the meaning of ‘under the sun’ in it. Apparently it means a place where God is not present. Michael Eaton says, ‘Ecclesiastes is an exploration of the barrenness of life without a practical faith in God. Intermingled with its pessimism are invitations to a different outlook altogether, in which joy and purpose are found when God is seen to be ‘there’ and to be characterized supremely by generosity’.
Indeed, it is a choice of ours to live ‘under the sun’ or ‘above it’ where God is actively present.

Everyday spirituality starts with acknowledging the presence and goodness of God. It continues on with answering the question how much He has a say in my doing, living, being… We may not feel Christ fill our mind every waking minute but if we consciously acknowledge His presence and Lordship, we will not lose Him on life’s fast lane.

Winston Churchill said, “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.” I pray that if this reflection has any truth for you, you would take a ‘selah’ moment to look at it and re-orientate your life as it so warrants.

Powered By Blogger